Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Bury Me: Inspired by Frances Harper's "Bury Me in a Free Land"

You may dig a hole wherever you please;
In California or the Florida Keys.
Make it where unicorns run free.
Just as long as there's no poverty.
My eyes would not close if I knew,
The things that people here say or do.
Bury me in the lines of a poem,
As long as in the stanzas free men can roam.
Lay me to rest where bullying is gone,
Even if that is on the edge of dawn.
A world where self-image is poisoned like an apple,
My tomb shall not dare to dapple.
I dare not rest where hurricanes have destroyed.
To live underground, I would be annoyed.
If I saw bombs fly and people die,
In death I still would manage to cry.
My soul shall not depart until I am at peace,
And know that this destruction shall cease.
I do not need a plaque or sign
To prove this spot is truly mine.
All that I need to be brave
Is the promise that this desolate land can be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment