Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I'll Get There

once again, this is a fairly unrefined poem, but i needed to publish it without changing anything, in the raw. Enjoy :)







See that dot out there on the horizon?
That little blip that would not trouble a radar for miles?
That's my future.

Yes, it's hard to see and far far away,
but it's my future all right.
I could identify it with my eyes closed.

The last time my mom brought home Chinese take-out,
I snatched up my fortune, like I always did,
hungering more for the slip of white paper that hinted
of my fate than the actual sour, savory General Tso's
that quenched my momentary appetite.
But appetite is only temporary, while the
succulent taste of foresight lingers on the tongue forever.

I lost count of how many
"A surprise will be waiting for you"'s
or "Patience is more valuable than anything"'s
touched my fingers.
But what I failed to realize is all
those fleeting words of wisdom will ever be
on those tiny pieces of paper
is meaningless letters set up in a pattern
to trick the mind into believing
that our true outcome can be found in
a Chinese restaurant enveloped in a
plastic wrapper and crispy cookie.

Fortune cookie, more like fraud wafer.

Last week, I threw out some six wads
of crumpled fabricated finality.
They lay defeated
on my dresser
for weeks wondering
when they would come true

I didn't tell them because
I didn't want to break their
fragile paper hearts.
I guess the garbage bin lining
told them of their failure.

Now with the misguided taunters of fate
safely stuffed in the trash,
I began to live with my eyes closed.
Like that Skywalker boy,
I tried to sense the world without
my eye's deception.

Remember that dot? It's still minuscule,
but it grows everyday,
just as I do.
I learn to experience the world one surprise at a time.
I may be blinded by the possibilities, but I've still got the dot in sight.
It blinks its position like the light atop a lighthouse,
guiding my ship to the harbors
of the future.
I don't know where this harbor is yet,
and I've tried to find in on Google Maps with no luck.
This destination must be found alone
and will not make itself known.

I may not have a clue as to what the future holds,
but just the idea of a million different possibilities
smolders in my heart like an ember that refuses
to sizzle out.

I'm not quite sure where I'm going,
but I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment