Sunday, May 19, 2013

Have I?

Have I touched a life? A heart? A soul?
Or am I as empty as a bowl after my morning cereal?
Have I postponed the knife that beckons death?
Have I made a difference in a life outside myself?

How far does my pool ripple?
Have my waves been influential?
Have they swept someone off their feet?
And made them feel complete?

Have I sparked a light of hope in
someone who's given their self to sin?
Have I drowned the sorrowful cries
out of someone's lungs and eyes?

What have I done for one other than me?
Have I shown someone how beautiful they are in reality?
Have I told them how their laughter flutters?
Or how they gleam with every word they utter?

Numerous souls pass me in the hall,
And I must wonder if I've inspired them at all.
Do they know that after I leave this place,
I'll still remember their face?

Out of sight, but not out of mind.
Do they realize that they are one-of-a-kind?
A gem that cannot compare.
A pearl that is most rare.

The entirety of humanity is most unique.
Every single person, no matter how meek,
Creates a ripple on the Earth,
We humans never understand how much we're worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment